How to vote
How to vote
Voting is now open. Click here to cast your ballot.
Businesses and organizations may vote by designating a non-member to vote on their behalf using the following method:
- Go to firstwestbusinessvote.com or click the “VOTE NOW” link on the regional webpage (Envision Financial, Island Savings, Valley First)
- Enter your business member number and postal code. *Note: If your information changed after July 31, 2021, use your previous information when requested.
- When prompted, follow the instructions.
- Choose your donation recipient.
- An email with voting instructions will be sent to the designated non-member (pending verification of membership status).
- The designated non-member will follow the provided instructions to select, confirm and submit his or her vote on your behalf.
- You will receive confirmation the vote has been cast.
If you have questions about the process, contact our Member Outreach Team at 1-888-921-0580 (Mon. – Fri. 9AM – 5 PM, PT) or email our governance team at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
WATCH: Let's keep a good thing growing for members | Shawn Neumann & Domain 7
Since opening his first account at the age of eight, Shawn Neumann has built a storied history with First West Credit Union spanning over 40 years. Not only is he a member and Chair of First West’s Board of Directors, but he also runs a human-centred organizational change agency called Domain 7 which Envision Financial helped him get off the ground.
All of these different hats have given Shawn unique insight into our credit union, our member needs into the future and how we can look to grow and evolve while staying true to our core values. Learn about Shawn’s story and why he believes applying to become a federal credit union is in the best interest of our members, employees and communities.
WATCH: Let's keep a good thing growing for communities | Big Brothers Big Sisters, Vancouver Island Chapters
Big Brothers Big Sisters is a place where a “big” can connect with a “little”, grow together and positively impact both their lives. Learn how Island Savings and First West Credit Union have partnered with the three Big Brothers Big Sisters chapters on Vancouver Island (Cowichan Valley, Central Vancouver Island, Victoria and Area) over the years and how our mutual growth has meant amazing things for building strong mentoring relationships in the community.
Your vote makes a difference in the community
Influencing your credit union’s future by participating in the democratic process is a fundamental part of being a member. But did you know you can make a difference to our local communities simply by voting on this historic decision to become a federal credit union?
It’s true. To thank you for voting, we will donate on your behalf to the communities we serve. As a bonus, you can choose where your donation is directed.
For each valid ballot cast online, by telephone or by text message, First West will donate $2 to its signature cause (The Full Cupboard/Feed the Valley), the First West Foundation or a charitable cause you choose from the list below.
When the number of valid ballots exceeds 2,500, we’ll increase our donation to $4 per valid ballot and the donation could climb even higher. UPDATE: As of Nov. 15, all valid ballots are now generating a $6 donation.
This means even more charitable dollars going to our local partners to support the important work they do in our communities.
If you choose to vote by mail, we will donate $1 to our signature cause to help eradicate hunger in the communities we serve.
|ENVISION FINANCIAL||Sources BC||SAINTS Rescue Mission||Reach Child & Development Centre||The Full Cupboard||First West Foundation|
ENDERBY & DISTRICT FINANCIAL
|One Sky Community Services||Critteraid Penticton||Foundry (Penticton & Kelowna)||Feed The Valley||First West Foundation|
|ISLAND SAVINGS||Pacific Centre Family Services Association||BC & Alberta Guide Dogs||The Circle||The Full Cupboard||First West Foundation|
Your Decision: Special Resolutions
If you are a First West Credit Union member in good standing, we ask you to consider the following special resolutions and, if deemed fit, approve the resolutions by voting “Yes – in favour” on the ballot.
If you are a member who holds Class B Equity Shares, you are also required to approve the special resolutions through a separate vote. Therefore, we also ask you to consider the same special resolutions and, if deemed fit, approve the resolutions by voting “Yes– in favour” on the ballot. In both cases, the special resolutions must be approved by no less than two-thirds of the votes cast by members and shareholders eligible to vote.
Special resolution #1: Applying to become a federal credit union
BE IT RESOLVED, as a Special Resolution, that:
- First West Credit Union is authorized to apply to the Minister of Finance for Letters Patent of Continuance under the Bank Act.
- Should the application to continue as a federal credit union be approved by the Minister of Finance, First West Credit Union is authorized to operate as a federal credit union under the Bank Act.
- The Board of Directors may, in their sole discretion and without further notice to or approval of the members, abandon or withdraw at any time the application to become a federal credit union.
- Any one or more directors or officers of First West Credit Union, for and on behalf of First West Credit Union, are authorized and directed to take all necessary steps and proceedings and to execute, deliver and file any and all applications, declarations, documents and other instruments and do all such other acts or things that may be necessary or desirable to give effect to the provisions of this special resolution.
Special resolution #2: Approval to adopt new bylaws
BE IT RESOLVED, as a Special Resolution, that:
- On the date First West Credit Union becomes a federal credit union, the Rules then in effect be repealed in their entirety and replaced with the Bylaws set forth in Schedule 2.
- Any one or more directors or officers of First West Credit Union, for and on behalf of First West Credit Union, is authorized and directed to take all necessary steps and proceedings and to execute, deliver and file any and all applications, declarations, documents and other instruments and do all such other acts or things that may be necessary or desirable to give effect to the provisions of this special resolution.